Friday, June 7, 2013

Movies I Saw In May

Apparently I'm staying pretty consistent these days, because I saw 16 new movies in April and then 16 more in May. In order from best to worst, this is what I watched last month.

New Movies (16)

Silver Linings Playbook (2012) - Easily my favorite of the 7 Best Picture nominees I've seen so far, and the only time I've ever really liked Jennifer Lawrence.

Open Your Eyes (1997) - It's darker and uglier than Vanilla Sky, so I don't like it as much, but it's still an incredibly good story.

The Thing (1982) - Completely effective as a horror movie, though I'm not sure I like the ending.

High and Low (1963) - While many foreign films are inaccessible and hard to follow, Kurosawa always manages to create characters that are tremendously easy to relate to. That remains true even in a mystery movie like this.

Men in Black 3 (2012) - I was totally surprised by how much I enjoyed this. A much smarter movie than I anticipated. And Michael Stuhlbarg is awesome.

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - This movie is pretty fun by itself, but Benedict made it way more fun.

The Devil's Backbone (2001) - Definitely should be seen by fans of Pan's Labyrinth. It has the same combination of fantasy and dark, ugly realism.

John Dies at the End (2012) - I really liked it about 2/3 of the way through, and then it completely lost its way. I feel like I might like it a little better if I rewatched it knowing what to expect, though.

Cypher (2002) - Completely nonsensical, but enjoyable all the same. I have a fondness for goofy sci-fi, so if you don't, you probably won't like it.

The Avengers (2012) - I liked it in portions, but it felt too scattered, like I was watching five different movies.

The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974) - I never grew up with this, so I'm sure I'm missing out on some nostalgia, but I thought it was fine. Pretty cute.

The Words (2012) - Obviously trying to make a point, but it's too unfocused to really make it work.

Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey (1977) - A darker, more disturbing, more nonsensical version of the Rudolph story. I really feel like not a lot of thought went into this one.

Basic Instinct (1992) - Apparently people love this. I thought the writing was amateur, the acting weird, and the sex scenes totally gratuitous in that context.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011) - THIS MOVIE MAKES NO SENSE.

Men in Black II (2002) - THIS MOVIE MAKES NO SENSE AND ALSO IS REALLY ANNOYING.

Rewatches (4)

Vanilla Sky (2001) - Rewatched with the siblings. I still freaking love this movie. The images from it remain seared into my head. In a positive way. So so so so so good. This one keeps rising up my list of favorites.

Back to the Future (1985) & Back the Future 2 (1989) - Rewatched with Jacob. These may have to go onto my "feel good movies" list. They always make me so happy.

The Blair Witch Project (1999) - Rewatched with Jacob. Not scary so much as just a really, really good story with surprisingly realistic acting.

What have you seen lately? Any of these? Disagree with any of my thoughts on them?

No comments:

Post a Comment