Saturday, September 10, 2011

Movies This Week

I managed to watch four movies this week amidst schoolwork, starting rehearsals for the Troupe, and auditions for Once Upon a Mattress. This was a pretty light week as far as my activities went - can't imagine I'll be watching many movies once rehearsals get going for real, unless I go crazy with movie watching on the weekends (a definite possibility).

Anyway. After that brief update on my life, on to the movies. Not a lot of luck this week.

Curious George (2006). Animated adaptation of the children's book series. Not quite as bad as I thought it was going to be - the parts with George himself are great. The main problem was that they made the Man in the Yellow Hat the main character, and he's not entertaining for children or adults. 2/5.

Open Season (2006). Kids' buddy movie about a bear and a moose. WHYYYYY do movies like this exist? No original plot, no original characters, a single joke that worked for me, and a surprising amount of violence for a kids' movie. 1/5.

The Brother From Another Planet (1984). A fugitive from outer space shows up in Harlem and wanders around doing stuff. I was thoroughly unimpressed with this movie - strange unrelatable characters, completely random sound effects, jarring transitions, unexplained motivation shifts... My roommate and I were completely thrown off when we discovered this movie had a 92% on RottenTomatoes. Clearly there's something we're missing. 1/5.

Happythankyoumoreplease (2010). How I Met Your Mother's Josh Radnor writes/directs his first film, about a group of people trying to find happiness in New York. Not an awful indie comedy drama, but not a very good one either. Some great stories and characters, but keeps sliding into sentimentality or pretension. 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment