Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Top 5, Bottom 5: Medical Drama

Time to tackle another very specific Flickchart genre: the medical drama. I saw my twentieth fairly recently, and now it's time to look at my favorite and least favorite of the genre. I'm actually pretty surprised I haven't seen more of these!

Top 5:
1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#53, 1975). This movie just captivates me every time I watch it. One of these days I'm going to make Jacob sit down and watch it with me too, since he's seen all the parody versions of it (most recently the one on Spaced) but never the real thing.
2. Wit (#66, 2001). A heartbreaking adaptation of an equally heartbreaking play. Emma Thompson is superb as a woman battling ovarian cancer, looking back over her life and wondering whether she was the kind of person she wanted to be.
3. Awakenings (#136, 1990). I need to rewatch this movie, but I remember that, like Wit, it just broke me.
4. 50/50 (#210, 2011). This should possibly be up higher on my list. It's the perfect mix of funny and dramatic, and the main cast of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen, and Anna Kendrick are all brilliant in their roles.
5. Shadowlands (#258, 1993). It's been a long time since I watched this one, but I remember being really drawn into Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of C.S. Lewis. I should definitely give it a rewatch sometime and see if it deserves to be so high on my chart.

Medical/Surgical Operative Photography from Flickr via Wylio
© 2012 Phalinn Ooi, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio

Bottom 5:
5. Talk to Her (#1226, 2002). I like this genre in general, so it's not too surprising that my fifth least favorite is only about halfway down my chart. I admired the ambitiousness of this movie, but the surrealism was an emotional barrier for me.
4. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (#1351, 2007). I was surprised how apathetic I was toward this movie. It's a great story... and I just didn't care.
3. The Savages (#1491, 2007). Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney are such amazing actors, but even they couldn't save what was a pretty boring script.
2. John Q. (#1727, 2002). Another ambitious film that could have been so much better but fizzled out.
1. Steel Magnolias (#1798, 1989). My opinion of this has grown slightly since I saw my college do the play version, but I'm still pretty uninterested in the whole story. It's a movie dominated by female characters, but I don't relate to any of them.

Top 5 Unseen (I keep forgetting to do this category);
1. The Elephant Man (#586, 1980). I have been meaning to see this one for quite some time. It recently got added to Netflix, so it's in my queue. It's just a matter of making way for it.
2. Dead Ringers (#806, 1988). I really haven't seen a lot of Cronenberg, but I've been interested in this one for awhile too.
3. My Left Foot (#885, 1989). Yup, another one I've been meaning to see. I'm almost always interested in medical dramas, so it makes sense that these are all ones I do want to see.
4. Red Beard (#1179, 1965). Now this is one I've never heard of, but it's Kurosawa and I really like his work, so I'm sure I'll check it out eventually.
5. Drunken Angel (#1283, 1948). Another Kurosawa one I'm not familiar with... so, yes, I'll watch it someday.

What are your favorites and least favorites? Which of my top 5 unseen should I tackle first?

No comments:

Post a Comment