Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tune In Tuesday: 13

Jason Robert Brown is one of my very favorite songwriters. His songs are beautiful, funny, and profound. 13 is often regarded as one of his less prestigious shows, and that's understandable. It's about a group of pre-teens and their lives. All the cast members (and in the original Broadway run, all the members of the pit as well) were young teens. This cast recording took me awhile to get into, as it's definitely... lighter than his earlier ones. But a few listens later, and I'd fallen in love with this one too.

"The Lamest Place in the World" is one of my favorites to sing along to. The central character of 13 is a boy who moves from Manhattan to central Indiana, and he hates it. This song is sung by a girl who befriends him, introducing him to his new hometown -- she clearly isn't that fond of it either. As someone who grew up in the Midwest her whole life, I can definitely relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment