Monday, April 27, 2015

Top 5, Bottom 5: Crime

It's time for another Top 5, Bottom 5 blog, this time focusing on crime movies, because I apparently watched my 200th the other day, according to Flickchart. I'm not all that crazy about crime movies, so it's going to be really interesting to me to see which ones really did rise to the top, and which ones may be good but just didn't interest me.

Top 5:
1. Memento (2000, #15). Easily one of my all-time favorites, and I've written about it more in depth before on one of my other movie blogs. It's a fantastic movie with deep themes and a gimmick that really works for telling the story.
2. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944, #80). A completely different feel from Memento, this movie is wacky and funny and one of my favorite classic comedies. I wouldn't have thought of it as a "crime" movie because it's so different tonally, but I suppose it is!
3. A Fish Called Wanda (1988, #96). Another crime comedy, though this one is a bit more morbid in tone than Arsenic and Old Lace. Kevin Kline is one of my favorite comedic actors, and on top of that you've got two members of Monty Python, and Jamie Lee Curtis being forever frustrated as the "straight man" of the group. Really entertaining.
4. My Cousin Vinny (1992, #102). So maybe all the crime movies I like are comedies. This is one of my parents' favorites, so it's one I watched with them as a teenager, and I still think it's great fun. Joe Pesci and Marissa Tomei create two really funny, likable characters, and it's awesome to watch them interact with the world around them.
5. Wallace & Gromit in the Wrong Trousers (1993, #108). And this one is not only a comedy, it's a short. This is my favorite of all the Wallace & Gromit stories, and while it might be a little high on my chart, it's really delightful.

Crime Scene from Flickr via Wylio
© 2009 Alan Cleaver, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio

Bottom 5:
5. Mr. Superinvisible (1970, #2281 out of 2348). I honestly don't remember this movie much except that I watched it as a kid and thought it was super lame then.
4. Identity Thief (2013, #2273). Oh, man. This movie was tough to watch, and I find Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy both pretty likable. But it was some actively painful comedy. It deserved the bad reputation it got.
3. American Gangster (2007, #2269). This movie took me forever to get through because I just couldn't make myself care about it.
2. Mean Streets (1973, #2239). I watched this in one of my film appreciation classes, and it's absolutely my lowest Scorsese film on my chart. I just didn't care about it at all.
1. Cold Blood (2012, #2218). Ha! This was a film I did the captioning for at work a month or two ago. It's quite lame. It should probably be lower on the chart, because it being ahead of anything Scorsese did is not OK.

Top 5 Unseen:
1. Breathless (1960, global chart #125)
2. Dog Day Afternoon (1975, #147)
3. The French Connection (1971, #165)
4. Miller's Crossing (1990, #188)
5. City of God (2002, #200)

What are your favorite and least favorite crime movies? And which of my top unseen ones should I watch first?

No comments:

Post a Comment