Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Movies I Saw in March

Two weeks into April, I've decided to bring back this feature where I do a quick summary of the movies I saw the previous month. I do review every movie I watch over on my review blog Hannah and Her Movies, as well as on my Letterboxd page, but if you want just a quick update about what I've been watching, this is the place to go.

I saw 24 new movies in March. Here they are from best to worst.

The Sessions (2012) - You'd think this movie would be bawdy, but it isn't at all. It's a tasteful and moving drama about someone's therapy sessions. Beautifully done.

Flight (2012) - One of Denzel's best performances in year. Incredible drama with a captivating ending.

Argo (2012) - Great thriller with plenty of suspense. Nicely done.

Smashed (2012) - A very touching film about addiction, with an incredible performance by Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Sort of a modern day Days of Wine and Roses.

A Few Good Men (1992) - No surprise that a movie written by Aaron Sorkin based on a play also written by him has good writing and great characters. Solid and well-executed.

White Heat (1949) - James Cagney's villain is the best thing about this movie, but that's saying a lot, because the whole thing is pretty darn solid.

Key Largo (1948) - A really solid mostly-one-room drama with good characters and excellent writing.

Liberal Arts (2012) - Josh Radnor's getting there, as a writer/director. He's still got a ways to go, but this movie is definitely worth a watch.

The Master (2012) - Incredible acting performances, but I totally get why the public didn't warm to it.

Black Narcissus (1947) - A very bizarre movie that creeps up on you with how eerie it gets. I liked it, but I wasn't sure I liked it halfway through.

Seeking a Friend For the End of the World (2012) - I really really really hope Steve Carell does more dramatic roles. He was incredible in this. And I really really really hope I never have to see Keira Knightley in anything again. She still just annoys me.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012) - Clever idea, but Ralph and that little girl were by far the least interesting characters in it.

Chasing Amy (1997) - Better than I expected, given how much I truly truly hated Mallrats. Definitely watchable.

Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - It's fine. I really have no opinion on this movie. I didn't emotionally invest in it in any way.

Singles (1992) - Like all ensemble films, some of the plotlines are worth it and a lot of them are really not.

Safety Not Guaranteed (2012) - I thought I was going to really love this movie, but really it just ended being a really disturbing variation on the Manic Pixie Dream Girl story. With possible awful death.

Children of Paradise (1945) - My final film in my 28 Days of Romance movie challenge, it has a great beginning and a really disappointing ending.

Rust and Bone (2012) - One or two really nice moments, but overall I just felt disconnected.

There's Something About Mary (1998) - The jokes are over-the-top and drawn out far too long. Even the ones that start off funny stop being funny about halfway through their run.

The Devil Inside (2012) - A really nice, atmospheric beginning and a suitably creepy ending, but the middle is a chaotic mess.

Top Gun (1986) - I am so not the target audience for this movie. Result: bored.

Red River (1948) - Mostly boring, then suddenly very confusing, with an ending that made next to no sense.

One for the Money (2012) - A bizarre, meandering movie, and Katherine Heigl is as unlikable as ever.

The Mask (1994) - This movie was an awful, awful execution of what could have been a pretty entertaining idea.

Have you seen any of these? Which ones did you like? What movies have you seen recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment