Sunday, August 14, 2011

Movies This Week

I saw eight movies this week... and it was a GREAT movie week for me, because half of them got 4 stars. Now it's possible I'm just in a happier mood and enjoying my movies more or something (they were all comedies), but either way, I'm OK with it.

After the Fox (1966). A comedy written by Neil Simon and starring Peter Sellers as an escaped thief who poses as a film director as part of a plot to steal some gold. Apparently a box office flop, but I liked it. Zany, silly, lots of fun. 4/5.

Best in Show (2000). Christopher Guest mockumentary about dog show competitors. While not as brilliant as Waiting for Guffman or This Is Spinal Tap, still very funny, with great characters and good jokes. 4/5.

Kick-Ass (2010). A superhero action/comedy about a high schooler who wants to be a superhero. I loved the parts of the story that focused on him, but didn't care for the foul-mouthed little girl... made me uncomfortable watching her cheerily bringing gory vengeance to her enemies. 3.5/5.

...And Your Name Is Jonah (1979). Drama about a couple and their deaf child, who had been misdiagnosed as mentally retarded. Nice idea, but everything about it falls apart. I initially gave it 2/5 but as time has passed it's dropped down to 1/5. Really nothing held together.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead (2009). Campy comedy about a group of vampires putting on a production of Hamlet. Ridiculous and silly and I loved every minute of it. Laughed out loud several times. This movie is not for everyone but for those who like stories about vampires and/or theater, check it out. 4/5.

Gypsy (1993). TV adaptation of the Jule Styne/Stephen Sondheim musical, starring Bette Midler. Although Cynthia Gibb is good as Louise, it takes a more charismatic actress than Midler to make me pay attention to this rather lackluster musical. 2.5/5.

Brothers (2009). Tobey Maguire and Jake Gyllenhaal star as a soldier and his ex-con brother. Maguire is presumed dead, but returns to find his brother has moved in on his life. Strong and compelling second half, mostly uninteresting first half. 3.5/5.

Take the Money and Run (1969). Woody Allen's directorial debut, about an incompetent thief. Loved this one. FlickChart now reports it as my #1 movie of 1969 - probably not correct because it places it about 10 spots above Butch Cassidy, but I did really like it. The only comedy of the week to truly make me *giggle*. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment