Thursday, January 26, 2012

Blind Spots 2012

Movie blogger Jandy has announced over on her site (Jandy's Meanderings) that she is going to do the "Blind Spots 2012" movie challenge, started by James McNally at Toronto Screenshots. It focuses on "blind spot" movies - the movies you're supposed to have seen as a movie buff. Whether they're classic cinema, blockbusters everyone has seen, or movies from my childhood I somehow missed, the idea is that I choose 12 of them for this challenge and try to watch them all over 2012. It works out to one a month, but I'm student teaching this semester and am pretty sure my movie watching is going to completely disappear as the semester gets going, so probably most of my movie watching will happen over the summer.

I had a difficult time thinking of movies I wanted to see off the top of my head, so I decided to choose 4 from each of the following places:
-The all-time highest-ranked movies on Flickchart.
-My massive Netflix DVD queue.
-Movies from the Film-Lover's Checklist (similar to iCheckMovies, but I discovered this site first and use it more often anyway).

So, that being said, my 12 blind spot movies I'm going to aim for in 2012 are, in no particular order:

Office Space (1999)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
The Seventh Seal (1957)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Band Wagon (1953)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Beetlejuice (1988)
Carrie (1976)
Rushmore (1998)
Gone Baby Gone (2007)
Nosferatu (1929)

If any of you have any opinions on which one of these I should watch first, feel free to offer them up... I'm probably not getting to any of them for a little while. I'll be posting my responses to these movies when I watch them on here as well as over at my regular mini-review blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hold up. You've never seen The Band Wagon? Yeah, I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your musical-lover card right now.

    Just kidding. But seriously, you should watch that first. It's awesome. I love the variety on your list, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's why I chose The Band Wagon - it's the only film on the AFI's top 25 musicals list that I haven't seen. I figured I should finish that off!

      Delete