Sunday, January 15, 2012

Well, That Show Was Terrible

The show was somehow even worse than the title of this blog. Man, I hate writing blog titles.

Anyway. Last week there was this sitcom called Work It. And this week there isn't. And that's pretty cool, because it was 1) not funny and 2) offensive.

This article says that ABC's entertainment chief is very confused by the fact that people were offended by it, specifically responding to comments from transgender people. He compares it to Tootsie and says that's not offensive, so this shouldn't have been either.

I am not transgender, so I'm not a position to say whether the show was offensive to transgender people or not. (Although I can't imagine how it wouldn't be.) But I can tell you that it was unbelievably offensive to me as a woman.

Here's the deal: it takes a lot to offend me. A lot. As a woman, as a Christian, as an introvert, as a homeschooler... I see people poke fun at these things a lot and tend to just shrug and let it go. But I watched the pilot of this show and couldn't even finish it because it was making me so angry. It's not the fact that someone's dressing as a girl that made me furious. It's the jokes they chose to make from it.

Like, for example, he makes a terrible woman because he doesn't have a pretty purse that goes with his outfit! HA HA HA HA HA! Imagine, a girl not matching her purse to her outfit!
And he eats subs for lunch instead of salad!
And he knows how cars work!

Well, I'm not good with cars, but except for the last one, it appears I, too, make a terrible woman. A terrible one.

I don't own a purse at all, much less one that matches my outfit. If I had a choice between a foot-long sub for lunch and a salad, I'd choose the sub every time. I wear a T-shirt and jeans whenever possible because I hate dressing up or deciding what to wear. Shopping bores me, unless it's for books, movies, or music. I don't like looking at pictures of other people's babies and I definitely don't want to hold them. I find makeup is not worth the effort it takes to apply. I do not own a single bracelet, necklace, ring, or pair of earrings. I think chick flicks are stupid. The lower the heels are on my shoes, the happier I am (flats are always best). AND I think that other women who have these character traits are not odd, much less suspiciously unfeminine.

Work It only made it to a couple of the stereotypes on this list before it got canceled, but I am sure that if it continued, it would eventually have hit all of them, using them as examples for why the man in question makes a terrible woman and, therefore, explaining why I am also a terrible woman. Apparently if I went to work in that office, I would be looked at with the same amount of comical disgust the main character's co-workers had when they looked at him. Wow. That's pleasant. Any sitcom that tells me I suck at being a woman (and I don't even have the excuse of secretly being a man) is not something I ever care to watch again.

I don't know anyone who's actually argued for this show being decent in any way, shape or form, which is a good thing. I'm glad it's being universally accepted that this was a horrible show. It's not like I need to convince anybody. I'm probably preaching to the choir. But it was the first thing I've watched that's offended me in... I don't even know how long, so I figured it should get a blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment