Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Reasons to Dance: 1-100 (Highlights)

As I wrote in this blog a few weeks ago, I started a Twitter account specifically for me to catalog things that made me happy throughout the day. I decided in the interest of spreading happiness, every 100 items I'd come back and share a few of the highlights. Not all of them, because some of them are really specific to me or to a certain day, but some of the ones that I hope will make you smile as well.

I did not get struck by lightning when a thunderstorm started in the middle of my shower. So yay.


The score for Oldboy (2003). Those melodies are so beautiful. I could listen to them all day

Cleaning our house is a pain, but I do love the way clean carpets look. It somehow makes the whole house brighter.

When something you've been stressed about is finally over and you can breathe and feel like your head is clear again.

Ice-cold Pepsi. Seriously refreshing.

Late summertime sunsets. Right now it's 9 p.m. and there's still a tiny bit of light outside. Love it.

Sunset Watching from Flickr via Wylio
© 2011 Zach Dischner, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio
"Love Never Felt So Good" by Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake. This will be my summertime happiness song, I think.

While reading Lovecraft, I discovered the word "Esquimaux," which is the French spelling of "Eskimo." Languages are fun.

BANANA BREAD. Jacob is making it and I am really, really excited about it.

The Captain singing with his housemaids on How I Met Your Mother. I haven't laughed that hard at that show in a long time.

When you get new headphones and hadn't even realized how terribly your old ones were working until suddenly EVERYTHING SOUNDS AMAZING.


Woman with Headphone from Flickr via Wylio
© 2013 Sascha Kohlmann, Flickr | CC-BY-SA | via Wylio
It's very satisfying to figure out how to phrase something I've been struggling to communicate.

I have a real fondness for actors playing exaggerated versions of themselves in movies/TV. It just makes me happy.

That scene from Anchorman where they're all singing "Afternoon Delight." Why does it make me laugh so much? Who knows. But it does.

One of my friends got engaged today. I love when people I care about have great things happen to them :-)

I told Puppy to sit, and she sat. She still can't be reasoned with cuz she's a dog, but at least she knows when she's supposed to sit.

The "Cleveland" song from 30 Rock was performed by Tina Fey and Jason Sudeikis. It took me longer to realize that than it should have.

Scented garbage bags. They make the whole kitchen so much nicer than it could be.

I am really amused when Puppy stands on me and puts her face RIGHT UP TO MINE but doesn't lick me or anything, just stares.

"Is it the jacket? Because it should be." #TheITCrowd

The Swarley episode of HIMYM. Barney's face when he says, "Please don't start calling me Swarley," cracks me up.

The design of Letterboxd. This is a really tiny thing to go on my yay list, but it's just... so appealing. I love looking at it.

I like that I can use the Internet to find out information about local services without having to actually call anyone.

My mom has self-published her second book today. I'm super proud of her!



Having enough food in the house that I can choose what I want to eat. Not everybody can do that. Heck, sometimes *I* can't.

Weird Al's "Tacky" music video. Seriously, I don't think I can ever watch it enough.

That quesadilla I just made. Gooey cheese, salsa with EXACTLY the right amount of heat... Yummm.

I love when I quote musicals on my Facebook and my friends identify them. It just makes me happy to share that.

Barrett Wilbert Weed's voice. She has a weird name, but DANG she is captivating on the Heathers cast recording.

Papa John's garlic sauce. It can make anything delicious!

Completing a playlist on SongPop. Hey, sometimes it's the little things.

Realizing you've actually had a pretty good day and it's maybe the first time in weeks you haven't felt depressed. YAY.

I somehow lost all my online game progress. Jacob felt bad for me and restarted his game too even though he was further along. Aw!

Guardians of the Galaxy. Yay for superhero movies that aren't just crime dramas with capes.

Sister texts me: "I watched Little Shop of Horrors. I liked it! But it was a bad one to watch a week before I get my wisdom teeth out."

Snarky responses to things that make me furious. Laughing at it really does help to take away its power to hurt me.

A friend checked in with me Monday to find out how I was doing with all the depression talk on the web. Yay for friends who care!

Chocolat de Bonnat from Flickr via Wylio
© 2007 Everjean, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio
Dark chocolate.

Wonderfully compassionate friends who give me hope for humanity.

What's been making you happy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment