Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Top 5, Bottom 5: Horror

I hit a milestone, guys. I watched my 100th horror movie. I wouldn't say I'm a horror movie fan -- it's not like musicals, where I love the genre so much that I tend to enjoy even not-very-good movies -- but I can definitely appreciate a good horror movie and am happy I've now seen so many. This seemed like a good time for a Top 5, Bottom 5.

Top 5
1. Bug (2006, #54). This little psychological horror flick based on a play not only gives Michael Shannon a chance to be freaking awesome, but it definitely freaks me out. It builds its characters and its story brilliantly. Good writing, good acting, good movie.
2. Little Shop of Horrors (1986, #64). I do enjoy my dark musicals, and this is one of the best, although the horror aspect of it is not what elevates it to my second favorite. It just has such good songs!
3. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007, #100). I figured this one would be in my top five as well. I think this is a good adaptation of a Sondheim musical I didn't like for the longest time. Tim Burton embraces the campy over-the-topness of a murderous barber in a way that really works for me.
4. Psycho (1960, #118). While not my favorite Hitchcock movie, it is (obviously) my favorite one is that is straight-up horror. I love the characters it creates and its final reveal is still a fantastic moment.
5. Cloverfield (2008, #120). I need to rewatch this one. I was completely drawn into it the first time I saw it, though, and I still remember some of the scenes that freaked me out the most.

knife-slasher-horror.jpg from Flickr via Wylio
© 2012 r. nial bradshaw, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio

Bottom 5
5. Devil Doll (1964, #1964). OK, fun fact, ALL the movies in my bottom 5 list were ones I first saw on MST3K. I don't remember much about this one, just that it wasn't very interesting to me.
4. Squirm (1976, #2172). I don't like worms, so even if this movie had been smart and interesting, I probably still wouldn't love it.
3. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966, #2173). Unlike some other so-bad-they're-good movies, this one is really hard to watch and laugh at on my own. Half the time it's mind-numbingly boring, half the time it's seriously disturbing -- and not in a good way.
2. Zombie Nightmare (1986, #2174). Another one I can't remember very much of... so it's hard to look at almost any other movie on my Flickchart and say, "Yeah, Zombie Nightmare was better."
1. Blood Waters of Dr. Z (1971, #2191). Six spots up from the very bottom of my chart, we have this horrifically blah movie that not even MST3K could make interesting.

What are your favorite horror movies?

2 comments:

  1. My favorites are

    1) The Exorcist
    2) Halloween
    3) Cabin in the Woods
    4) Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
    5) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

    Actually, I could go on and on and on, I love horror films. (I've also seen way too many bad ones to compile as well. lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Cabin the Woods is in my top 10, though I can't remember exactly where.

      I've actually never seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's been on my "to watch" list for ages and I just never got around to it.

      Delete