I watched Looper a couple weeks ago, which was the 20th film I'd watched in the Flickchart genre "cyberpunk/tech noir." This is a pretty specific genre I've now seen 20 films in, so I figured it was time for a top 5, bottom 5 (out of 1815 movies on my Flickchart as of right now).
1. A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (2001, #103). One of my very favorite movies. It completely breaks me.
2. The Matrix (1999, #186). An excellent action movie with a wonderfully interesting plot.
3. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991, #270). I like the sequel even better than the original movie, though it's been ages since I saw it.
4. The City of Lost Children (1995, #329). A haunting, visually stunning foreign film that I fell in love with the first time I saw it. It is definitely rated too low on this list.
5. Looper (2012, #482). Really solid movie... I'm such a sucker for interesting stories about time travel.
1. The Matrix Revolutions (2003, #1718). Talk about an unsatisfying conclusion to the series...
2. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003, #1551). It's not a coincidence that both the movies at the bottom are third in a series. I almost always hate thirds.
3. Soylent Green (1973, #1478). I know it's a classic sci-fi, but I don't find this entertaining in the least. Especially if you already know how it ends.
4. The Thirteenth Floor (1999, #1407). I'm not sure I have anything actually against this movie... I just don't remember it at all, so clearly it didn't make an impact.
5. Metropolis (1927, #1380). This movie is fine. I just don't like it nearly as much as I like the other movies above it. Heh.