I haven't done one of these in awhile, and as I'm in a bit of a blogging slump, I figured it was an easy one to put up for today.
The rules are simple. I give you the opening line or two of a song, you guess what the song is. As people guess songs, I'll make a note to indicate they've been guessed (for those who like only going for the challenging ones), but I won't post the answers until later, so you can feel free to still guess what they are in the comments!
My music taste is... eclectic, to say the least, so while some of these should be easy, others are likely to be nearly impossible. If it's a cover version (as many of them will probably be), I'll mark it with a *, and you can get half-credit for guessing the song even if you're not sure what version I have... though, of course, I will be especially impressed if you can guess the right version.
GUESSED! 1. Never win first place, I don't support the team, I can't take direction and my socks are never clean.
2. A new life, what I wouldn't give to have a new life.
GUESSED! 3. Life could not better be, better be, better be, it could not possibly, no, sirrah, sirrah, sirree.
4. I'm a walking contradiction, my ambition, my addiction, it turns me on.
5. Well, the world is facin' problems, gettin' bigger every day, we got a greenhouse over Texas and recession's on the way.
6. I know a bank where the wild thyme blows, where oxlips and the nodding violet grows.
*7. You have to understand the way I am, mein herr.
*8. You'd never recognize the room. The pictures all have different frames now.
9. On that sunny day, didn't know I'd meet such a beautiful girl walking down the street.
GUESSED! 10. I feel like I would like to be somewhere else doing something that matters.
11. I spend most every day selling myself, calling people on the phone.
12. All alone by the table of food in my wrinkled suit and my borrowed tie.
PARTLY GUESSED! *13. For you, there'll be no more crying. For you, the sun will be shining.
GUESSED! 14. You were meant to live large, come on, take charge, let's go light the world up.
GUESSED! 15. You've been dreaming just one dream nearly all your life, hoping, scheming just one theme: Will you be a wife?
GUESSED! 16. He's a very smart prince, he's a prince who prepares.
PARTLY GUESSED! *17. Macavity's a mystery cat, he's called the Hidden Paw.
GUESSED! 18. We'll have an adventure and several long trips, we'll make some new friends and maybe get a bite to eat, all 'cause we say, "Whaddya know, handyman?"
(That is the entirety of the song.)
*19. One less bell to answer, one less egg to fry.
GUESSED! 20. Germany was having trouble, what a sad, sad story, needed a new leader to restore its former glory.
21. We start the story when Mom met Dad and they danced all night and he took her home.
22. This is the one situation I wanted most to avoid.
*23. Sitting here, eating my heart out waiting, waiting for some lover to call.
24. I can't feel you, I can't feel you, I can't hear you, I can't speak 'cause love don't stink, love don't stink, love don't stink like that cottage cheese.
PARTLY GUESSED! *25. Have yourself a merry little Christmas, let your heart be light.
26. I remember begging my mom for these Z. Cavarriccis, with a striped genera shirt just to rock with these brutinis.
(I had to google the lyrics because I had no idea what these brand names were. Heh.)
27. Usually in the morning, I'm filled with sweet belonging and everything is beautiful to see.
*28. I guess I'm not too good at keeping love alive for long.
(OK, #29 is in German and I couldn't find the first verse on Google, so I'm starting from the first part they had, which is the chorus)
29. Ich bin Dur und ich bin Moll, ich bin Akkord und ich bin Melodie.
GUESSED! 30. God has given me a window and I can finally see the light.
31. Let's dance, put on your red shoes and dance the blues.
GUESSED! 32. The Irish fear nothing and no one, they keep fighting till everyone's dead. I'm not sure where this metaphor's going, I just felt like it had to be said.
GUESSED! 33. How have I come to this? How did I slip and fall?
PARTLY GUESSED! *34. I don't know you, but I want you all the more for that.
PARTLY GUESSED! 35. To test this gold for its worth is the same as testing me, and the fire burns easily today.
*36. Sooner or later you're gonna be mine, sooner or later you're gonna be fine.
PARTLY GUESSED! *37. Because the world is round, it turns me on.
PARTLY GUESSED! 38. Alone in the valley, I cry for you to fill me with your peace.
GUESSED! 39. Everything Charlotte says is a lie, it's a lie, it's a lie, it's a lie.
GUESSED! 40. He's several hours late, the skyline's growing dim, while others deck the halls you dream of decking him.
GUESSED! 41. Welcome, monsieur, sit yourself down and meet the best innkeeper in town.
42. What a gyp! This such a rip-off. Every time she sneers at me, I wanna rip her upper lip off.
(I think this is one of the worst opening lines in the world, but the rest of the song goes on to be quite fun.)
43. Forgive me, for I did not know, 'cause I was just a boy, you were so much more.
44. Shed no tears for me, there'll be rain enough today.
GUESSED! 45. What are you gonna do on New Year's Eve?
46. Some of my old friends are here, the light isn't good but their outlines are clear.
(I suspect this is a cover version because this artist doesn't sing original material often, but I can't find any information about who the original artist might be.)
GUESSED! 47. Tommy used to work on the docks.
48. When the years have all come and gone, they'll find beneath the ground our two bodies joined as one, showing how we were bound.
GUESSED! 49. He's a very nice prince. (And?) And... it's a very nice ball.
(I find it amusing that both this and #16 are in here. They come from the same place.)
*50. Sunday is gloomy, my hours are slumberless. Dearest, the shadows I live with are numberless.
Good luck, gang. If you know any, post your answers in the comments!