Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Movies I Saw In August/September

So remember when I missed a Monday a couple weeks ago? Yeah, I did that again. Sorry, crew. Blogging has been difficult this month, what with arthritis and minidepression both ganging up on me. Fortunately, every blog day is a chance to start over again and not miss any more entries. So here's an easy one for Wednesday.

In June and July I watched 18 new movies total. And then I don't know WHAT happened, because in August and September, I watched a grand total of seven. And all my September movies were watched in the last week of the month. I did fit a rewatch or two in there as well, but overall, I have been woefully lacking in my movie watching schedule. We shall see how October goes! In order from best to worst, here's what I watched the last two months.

New Movies (7)

Much Ado About Nothing (2012) - Oh, so much fun. Whedon should be directing more Shakespeare. Every actor in here does a great job; I can't single any of them out as a favorite.

The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) - An excellent adaptation of the story, and Leslie Howard is simply perfect as Percy.

3, 2, 1... Frankie Go Boom (2012) - This movie was trying to way too hard and it all falls apart pretty fast. Too bad, because I love Chris O'Dowd.

Man Hunt (1941) - It's a great concept, and I loved the beginning and the ending, but the entire romance section falls apart, mostly because the girl is so irritating.

Oblivion (2013) - This movie looks cool and works as long as you're willing to not try and think about the plot. Like, at all.

Admission (2013) - A cool concept for a movie, but it managed to do what I'd thought was impossible: It made me really hate Tina Fey and Paul Rudd. Such unlikable characters!

The Devil is a Woman (1935) - My problem with this was the same as with Admission: I loathed all the characters and could empathize with none of them. Yech.

Rewatches (4)

Catch Me If You Can (2002) - So much fun every time I see it. Leonardo DiCaprio is so charismatic in this role.

Love and Death (1975) - I went on a Woody Allen rewatch kick at the end of August/beginning of September. This one was just as over-the-top as I remembered, but also just as funny.

Bullets Over Broadway (1994) - I still think John Cusack is the best Woody Allen stand-in in all of his movies. He plays a pretentious character with a great deal of charisma. A very entertaining plot, one of Allen's best.

Hollywood Ending (2002) - Decidedly not one of Allen's best, but I still enjoy it nonetheless. This time around I got a huge kick out of Debra Messing's character and what an idiot she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment