Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My Desert Island Discs

Quick blog update: For the time being, I will just be posting on Wednesdays and Fridays. It's just getting very difficult to keep up with my updates, as I'm sure you've noticed, and leaving my weekend free of having to write something for Monday will hopefully help me be more faithful on the other two days. I may eventually start writing on Mondays again in the future, but for now I'm a twice-a-week blogger.

I listen to a lot of British radio programs, and one of my favorites is Desert Island Discs, in which a celebrity guest goes on the show and shares the eight pieces of music they would choose to bring with them if they were stranded on a desert island. The reasons they choose this music vary all over the place - songs that remind them of people, songs that have meant a lot to them personally, songs they just simply love. It got me thinking about the eight pieces of music I would bring to a desert island, because it might not automatically be my eight favorite songs. So here's my list, in no particular order.

1. Shiksa Goddess from The Last 5 Years
Well, I'm certainly not going to go to a desert island and NOT bring my all-time favorite showtune. Though I could easily fill a desert island playlist with all things Jason Robert Brown, I've opted for just a couple, and this had to be one of them. It's cheerful, and, given my long-term love for it, it will bring back memories of better times.

2. Skullcrusher Mountain by Jonathan Coulton
I couldn't leave Coulton behind either. I knew I was going to take something by him, and this was the obvious choice, because not only do I just freaking love it, it also has personal meaning. I figure if I have to be on a desert island without my husband, I'll take the song that somehow became "our song" as a couple.

3. Smile by James Marsters
This song has the honor of being the only one I have ever played on repeat 10 times in a row. I became obsessed with this song back in 2009, and although I no longer play it over and over again, I still pay attention every time my iPod shuffles around to it. It's one of the most beautifully soothing songs I know, and a soothing song will probably come in handy if I'm stranded somewhere.

4. Take Away My Dreams by Groovelily
I'm trying to make sure I have a song for every mood, and much as I hate to plan for sad depression moods, this one is a great "crying out to God" kind of song for me. Most of my sad songs have to do with other people, but this one seemed more fitting to being trapped on a desert island, all about loss and not getting to do the things you wanted to do.

5. I Feel So Much Spring from A New Brain
When looking for a good happy song, I debated a couple songs but ultimately settled on this, despite its slower tempo. I figure I have an uber upbeat song in Shiksa Goddess, and I'd rather hold onto this song, which always makes me want to close my eyes and just weep with joy. It's the absolute perfect song for coming out of a dark period, and I need one of those.

6. A Little Longer by Brian and Jenn Johnson
7. Music of Heaven by Jason Robert Brown
These are grouped together because they are my God/worship songs. Both of these songs are incredible at bringing me to a place where I feel very close to God and can easily pray and connect with him without my overthinking getting in the way. I debated dropping Music of Heaven, but decided that it was appropriate for God to get two songs out of my eight, given the fact that he is the most important thing in my life.

8. My Freeze Ray from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
As I debated my final choice, I lamented that I hadn't chosen many to remind me of people. So what better song to remind me of... well, pretty much everyone I know than this? When I first discovered Dr. Horrible, I went around showing it to absolutely everybody I knew. I have memories of watching, listening to, and singing this song with so many of my friends and family members. If I have to hold all my memories of my friends and family into one song... this is probably the best choice.

What would be your must-have songs if you were stranded on a desert island?

No comments:

Post a Comment