Friday, January 20, 2012

December Movies

You know what I never did? Talked about the movies I saw in December. Fail. So here we go. I saw eleven of them.

Scarface (1983). The movie tells the story of Tony Montana (played by Al Pacino) and his rise to power as a drug lord. It wasn't all that interesting to me - cheesy and melodramatic. 2.5/5.

Beautiful Boy (2010). Michael Sheen and Maria Bello play the parents of a college boy who goes on a shooting spree at his school. I loved this one - it broke me a little. I particularly loved the two main actors, who gave wonderful performances. 4.5/5.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009). A movie based on G.I. Joe characters. This would probably have been more interesting if I had been... well, interested at all in G.I. Joe. As it was, it was silly with awkward characters, an awkward plot, and terrible dialogue. 1/5.

Blazing Saddles (1974). This movie clearly didn't stick with me, because I couldn't remember the plot. To quote IMDb: "To ruin a western town, a corrupt political boss appoints a black sheriff, who promptly becomes his most formidable adversary." Not one of my favorite Mel Brooks movies, but not one of the ones I hate either. It just kind of sits in the middle. 3/5.

Homicide (1991). Joe Mantegna plays a homicide detective on a case he doesn't really want to be working on. Written by David Mamet. I kept almost liking this movie, but then the ending was very abrupt and everything kind of fell apart. 2.5/5.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011) After his wife leaves him, Steve Carell asks ladies' man Ryan Gosling to help him get back into the game. A charming, funny, and surprisingly touching romantic comedy. One of the better ones I've seen in awhile. 3.5/5.

The Slipper and the Rose (1976). A Sherman brothers musical retelling of Cinderella. Some very entertaining song and dance numbers, but, as in most adaptations of the story, Cinderella herself is just too boring a character to root for. 3/5.

Beginners (2011). A story about a young man (Ewan McGregor) trying to put his life together, inspired by his father (Christopher Plummer), who came out of the closet after his wife's death. A creative, interesting, and very moving story. It all fits together very nicely, weaving in and out of the different stories. 4/5.

Winnie the Pooh (2011). Disney's new set of stories about Winnie the Pooh and his friends, all taken from the original A. A. Milne stories. It's charming and delightful, although clearly meant for children, so it's nostalgia that makes it as good as it is for viewers like me. Nicely done. 3.5/5.

Withnail & I (1987). The road trip adventures of two unemployed actor roommates. I really should have liked this movie, and it's supposed to be a classic, but I hardly laughed at all and overall found it very uninteresting. Extremely disappointing. 2/5.

They Were Expendable (1945). From IMDb: "A dramatized account of the role of the American PT Boats in the defense of the Philippines in World War II." This movie was so uninteresting to me that I struggled to remember what was going on in the middle of the movie. It's frustrating having to work so hard to stay even a little bit interested. 1/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment