Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Top 5, Bottom 5: Flickchart Top 250

Flickchart not only keeps track of your personal rankings, but it also takes everyone's rankings to try and figure out what the best-ranked movies are of all time. Some of those movies I love. Some of them I... don't. So I figured I'd use my Top 5, Bottom 5 format to find out where I'm in sync with the movie-watching community and where I'm doing my own thing. I'll be looking for my highest-ranked and lowest-ranked movies that are in Flickchart's global top 250.

Top 5:
1. Casablanca (my #1, global #80). Not surprised here. Casablanca's a great movie - and one that's widely considered to be a great movie.
2. Annie Hall (my #4, global #154). Woody Allen's masterpiece, IMHO, and it looks like a lot of other people agree.
3. This Is Spinal Tap (my #7, global #226). Now I'm curious how it compares globally to, say, Best in Show or Waiting For Guffman.
4. Sunset Blvd. (my #8, global #227). Really? My #7 and #8 are right next to each other in the global rankings too? Looks like the world has spoken. Spinal Tap really is just a single degree better than Sunset Blvd.
5. The Truman Show (my #9, global #213). I think it's great that there's so much love for this movie. It's wonderfully done.

Bottom 5:
1. The Wild Bunch (my #1516, global #239). I tried to watch this movie last year. I say "tried" because although I succeeded, it was a struggle the whole way. Westerns are just NOT my thing. I was too bored with it even to find places where I could acknowledge it was well-made.
2. The Goonies (my #1397, global #219). It seems this movie offers nothing for the people who didn't see it as a child, because I saw it when I was 19 or so and thought, "Well, this is pretty lame."
3. Dr. Strangelove (my #1387, global #68). Usually with Stanley Kubrick movies, I love half of it and hate the other half. But this one just didn't work for me. I didn't think it was funny or interesting at any point. Not a big Peter Sellers fan, though.
4. The Bourne Identity (my #1380, global #93). Again, this is a genre problem. No matter how good it is, it's still a pretty straightforward action movie, which means I'd rather watch almost anything else.
5. Braveheart (my #1304, global #129). William Wallace is so not a hero in this movie. He's just a dude who's mad his girlfriend died, so he goes off looking for vengeance. Aside from the final death scene, which was kinda cool, this movie does nothing for me.

I'm pretty in sync overall, though. I found 5 movies in Flickchart's top 250 before I even read past my personal top 10, while I had to go about 350 movies into my worst movies list to find 5 films Flickcharters loved but I hated. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment