Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Funniest Movies I Know

So I talked about happy movies. And I talked about funny YouTube videos. So now it's time to talk about funny movies.

Watching a really, really funny movie can be absolutely wonderful. My sense of humor is a little hard to pin down, so my list is kind of eclectic, but these movies all get my vote for some of the funniest movies ever made.

This Is Spinal Tap (1984) and Waiting For Guffman (1996). Two great mockumentaries featuring the hilarious Christopher Guest, who directed the second one. These movies get funnier the more I watch them. The characters are entertaining and colorful, and every line is just perfect. I still think the Stonehenge scene from Spinal Tap is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and when we finally see the show they've been working on in Waiting For Guffman, it's hilariously awful.

Noises Off (1992). My friend Sam recommended this to me as one of the funniest movies he'd ever seen. About half an hour in, I was like, "Eh, this is pretty entertaining." An hour in, I was like, "This is funny." And an hour and a half in, I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. It's got a great cast and ends up being truly, truly hilarious.

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2003). This movie is a parody of old sci-fi B-movies, and it absolutely hits the spot for me. The dialogue is hilariously stilted, so many great 1940s sci-fi cliches are included, and, while some jokes go on a little too long, it's still one of the movies that makes me laugh every time I see it.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975). I love Monty Python, and this is definitely my favorite of all of their movies. It's absurd and silly and ridiculously fun. Just like their sketch show, not every moment works, but a whole lot of it does, and it's one of those movies that is almost as fun to quote afterwards as it is to actually watch.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944). Let's throw a classic in here. This movie is best to watch without knowing the plot, as there's a really entertaining twist about 30 minutes in. It's all a little over-the-top and crazy, but the characters are delightful, and Cary Grant is great fun as the extremely stressed-out hero.

Other very funny movies that I recommend but don't love quite well enough to write a blurb about:
A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
What's Up, Doc? (1972)
My Cousin Vinny (1992)
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
Tootsie (1982)
Emma (1996)
Back to the Future trilogy (1985, 1989, 1990)
Airplane! (1980)
In Bruges (2008)
Take the Money and Run (1969)
The Full Monty (1997)
Horrible Bosses (2011)
Better Off Dead (1985)
Seven Psychopaths (2012)

What are your picks? What are the funniest movies you've ever seen?

No comments:

Post a Comment