Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Gift-Buying Guide For People In Your Life Who Are Kind of Like Me

How's that for a helpful title? I figured with the holiday season at hand (and me testing out my new Amazon Associates connection on my blog - *shrug* pretending I can monetize my writing is nice) I could post some awesome gift-buying suggestions for people who are... kind of like me. I admit, this started off just as a list of Cool Stuff I Own, but then I thought of a couple Cool Things I Don't Own But Should and figured they were worth including as well.

I have sorted them by category, so you can go right to what you want.

Theater Stuff
  • Shrek the Musical. This is one of the ones I don't own, but fully intend to purchase it for myself in the near future. It's a filmed version of the Broadway musical starring the original cast.
  • Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Because anyone who likes musicals, Joss Whedon, or awesome things in general should own it. But especially people who like musicals. If you get the DVD, you also get the musical commentary "Commentary!" which is nearly as enjoyable as the movie itself.
  • Much Ado About Nothing. More Joss Whedony theater goodness. This is a solid production of one of Shakespeare's best-known comedies. It looks gorgeous, the language sounds gorgeous, and Nathan Fillion wins everything in his few short appearances.
  • Last Five Years / 2013 O.B.C.R. I own this one but haven't listened to it much yet... but giving anyone songs by Jason Robert Brown Christmas is a good way to tell them you love them. Alternatively, you can get someone the original 2002 cast with Norbert Leo Butz and Sherie Rene Scott, which I do love, but I figured I'd showcase something a little newer here.
  • A Digital Theatre gift certificate. Digital Theatre is an incredible website with several filmed theatrical productions for rent or purchase. I personally own the David Tennant/Catherine Tate Much Ado About Nothing and love it, but they also have for sale productions of shows like All My Sons, Into the Woods, Swan Lake, La Traviata, and more. 
Movie & TV Stuff
Cool Books
Games
  • Fluxx. Just about any incarnation will do, but I've specifically played Star Fluxx and Cthulhu Fluxx, and they're both so much fun. It's a card game where the rules change frequently during gameplay, so you have to stay on your toes to win. It's also easy to play with just two people, so you don't have to gather a huge group to enjoy the game.
  • Pandemic. A cooperative strategy game where you try to eliminate four contagious diseases before they spread and wipe out the world. Notoriously difficult, but if everyone works together you can save the world!
  • Cards Against Humanity. I don't own this one yet either, but it's been on my list for awhile of "games I should probably get." It's kind of like a darker, less family-friendly (but much funnier) version of Apples to Apples.
Cool Clothes

As a final plug, I wanted to mention my good friend Erika's Etsy shop. She makes nerdy T-shirts, pillows, travel cups, and more. Lots of stuff from various fandoms such as Doctor Who, IT Crowd, Magic: The Gathering, Portal, Star Wars, Harry Potter, and The Big Bang Theory. The products are creative and good quality, so if you're looking for something a little off the beaten path, head over her way and buy some stuff!

So there. Good luck with all your holiday shopping. If you have friends who are kind of like me with their interests, you now have an idea of some cool things they might like! Of course, if they're too much like me, they might own all this already. And if that's the case I should probably be friends with them. Mostly so they'll let me borrow the stuff I don't own yet so I can read it/watch it/play it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for mentioning me! Also, I really want to try Fluxx!

    ReplyDelete