Friday, May 9, 2014

Top 5, Bottom 5: Hitman/Assassin Films

Well, since I've finished up Skye, I'm going to have to come up with actual blogs to fill my Fridays until snarky times start up again. I meant to write something real yesterday, but that never happened, so here's a quick blog I threw together after watching my 20th movie about hitmen/assassins... at least according to Flickchart.

Top 5:
1. In Bruges (2008, #197). I need to go back and rewatch this one, since it's been quite awhile, but I laughed super hard. When morbid humor gets it right, it really works for me.
2. Road to Perdition (2002, #426). Another one I should rewatch. I remember really loving the cinematography and thinking it was a surprisingly moving film.
3. Looper (2012, #446). A fun sci-fi flick that did pretty much exactly what I wanted and expected out of a time travel movie.
4. The Boondock Saints (1999, #541). This was the 20th one I saw, so it's fresh in my mind, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. There's an odd over-the-top campy quality to the whole thing that I liked a lot.
5. The Manchurian Candidate (1962, #550). This is a CRAZY movie. Its insane plot tries to merge serious political drama and futuristic sci-fi silliness, and it should never have worked, but I have to admit I really enjoy it.

Bottom 5:
5. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005, #1818). Really all I remember about this is how bored I was. I don't care for Brad Pitt as an action star, that's for sure.
4. Pulp Fiction (1994, #1524). I watched this when I really was too young to understand Tarantino, and now that I know I like his other stuff, I really need to rewatch this one as well and see if I like it any better. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
3. The Professional (1994, #1491). There are some cool actors involved here, but I just couldn't get into the story.
2. The Bourne Identity (2002, #1480). Generic bland action stuff I can't really appreciate. I never watched any of the others in the series.
1. Buddy Buddy (1981, #1376). I'll be honest, I don't remember most of this, and if I can't remember a Billy Wilder flick, something has gone terribly wrong.

What are your favorites? And for that matter, who are your favorite fictional hitmen?

1 comment: