Monday, June 2, 2014

My New England Vacation: A Photo Blog

So I totally failed at posting blogs while I was on vacation, but now I am back! And I figured I'd be lazy my first day and just post some photos from the trip with my sisters. My photographer sister has posted 600+ pictures from those two weeks on her Facebook, so I figured I'd steal a few of them to give you an idea of all the stuff we did. It was a busy couple of weeks!


Our first step was Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where we spent some time with family friends. I was sick the second day we were there (I suspect it was a side effect from the new meds I'd started that week) so I didn't get to do much sightseeing, but the girls went off exploring the area with our hosts.


We spent a day in Philadelphia and splurged on a carriage ride around Philadelphia. It was well worth it. The tour guide driver was friendly and informative, and it was an awesome way to see a lot of the history in the area without having to do a ton of walking.


We went and saw the Liberty Bell. It was a pretty long line, but it was nice to be able to check that off our bucket list. We got this picture when we asked a random stranger if he could take a picture of us in exchange for us taking a picture of him and his family in front of the bell.


We spent a day in NYC (or, well, two half-days), during which we went to the Empire State Building. It was foggy and rainy, but it's still a fun thing to do.


We went to see Phantom on Broadway. It was my fourth time seeing it in New York, but none of the girls had ever seen a show in New York at all, so I had fun showing it off to them. Norm Lewis was a pretty good Phantom, although he seemed to be having some vocal issues that evening, but Sierra Boggess was a great Christine. Her version of "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" was easily my favorite I've ever seen.


The sisters and I spent one morning at Madame Tussauds. I went there on my first trip to NYC in 2004 and really enjoyed it, so it was fun getting to go and see it all again.


After NYC, we went to Rhode Island to spend some time with my mom's family. We went to Newport, did some shopping, ate calamari, and took lots of pictures near boats.


You were supposed to have tickets to tour the grounds and the insides of these mansions, but you could kind of just walk onto the grounds. So we did, figuring that the worst that would happen was that we would get kicked out. Got lots of lovely pictures in the backyard, which was right on the water.


The aunts took us here to have clam cakes and chowder for dinner. I'm pretty sure I could happily eat clam cakes for days.

After RI, we went to Massachusetts, where the girls went to Boston and I stayed at our host home because I didn't feel like walking. But nearly all the pictures we have from that leg of the journey are from Boston.

Our pictures after this point are a little scarce. We did more driving than anything else. We drove to New Hampshire and spent the night with some friends of my mom's. The next morning, as we left, I fell on their front steps and badly sprained my ankle. This made the rest of the trip pretty quiet for me. We drove to Vermont so we could say we'd been there, then drove to Maine and stayed with another Internet friend of Mom's. (The girls drove across the Canadian border to say they'd been there, but I wasn't sure I could climb back into the van, so I stayed home. I'll go to Canada some other time.)

Then we drove back home over three days. On one of those stops, we got to hang out with our awesome NLDC friends JoJo and Jose, and we had a bonfire in the backyard.


And that was the saga of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment