OK, let's do a quick Top 5, Bottom 5 list using only movies made before 1970. I have 1737 movies on my Flickchart at this point.
1. Casablanca (1942, #1). While the #1 status on Flickchart just means it's my #1 at the moment (my top 3 or 4 frequently rotate in and out of the top spot), it frequently has been my #1. What an incredible movie.
2. Rear Window (1954, #7). It's a LITTLE too high on my chart, but not by much. Certainly my favorite Hitchcock. Incredible suspense all in one room of a house.
3. Sunset Blvd. (1950, #9). It's a big, campy, dramatic story and I love every second of it.
4. Singin' in the Rain (1952, #11). A truly incredible movie musical that tends to work even for people who don't like musicals that much. It's a good story, good characters, some *great* songs.
5. West Side Story (1961, #21). A musical that isn't received so well by non-musical-lovers, but it's got some absolutely incredible dance sequences.
1. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966, #1712). Rifftrax is featuring this movie for their next live event on August 16! That is the only way to make this horrible movie entertaining.
2. This Island Earth (1955, #1710). I don't remember much of this. I mostly just remember it being boring.
3. Prince of Space (1959, #1707). I suspect all these bottom 5 ones will be ones I saw on MST3K. While this was a very entertaining MST3K, it's a completely ridiculous movie on its own.
4. Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (1966, #1703). I am so not a Godzilla movie person.
5. Window Water Baby Moving (1959, #1702). Not an MST3K movie! But very experimental, which is... not in the least something I am interested in watching.