Friday, May 6, 2011

The Hannah Movie Awards: April 2011

My apologies, this is a bit late in the month getting here. Last week of school, all that jazz.

I have quite a few awards to give out today. I watched 23 movies in April, and while some of them were fantastic, others were very... not. So I'm also including some Razzie-like awards given out to the movies that greatly disappointed me.

Without further ado, let us start the awards!

Best Actor
- Les Miserables (Alfie Boe)
- Les Miserables (Norm Lewis)
- Les Miserables (Ramin Karimloo)
- Les Miserables (Matt Lucas)
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Christopher Lloyd)

Was that really the ONLY movie where I was impressed with the guys in it? Well, I think I'm going to have to give it to Matt Lucas, who stole the show as the sleazy innkeeper Thenardier.

Best Actress
- Les Miserables (Samantha Barks)
- The Other Boleyn Girl (Natalie Portman)

Well, much as Samantha Barks was a lovely Eponine, Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn was easily the best part of that movie. The award goes to her.

Best Ensemble Cast
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
- Les Miserables

Hmm. This is actually kind of a tough one. I was impressed with CWACOM's cast because they were all famous people whose voices I could have recognized, but none of them were distracting. Les Mis, as you can see by the acting categories up there, had a lot of great individual performers... I think I'm going to have to say Cloudy, though, because their cast really did all work together very well to create a convincing world.

Best Character
- The son from Vera Drake
- Sol from Soylent Green

Wow, I was pretty strapped for interesting characters this month, it seems. These are both the highlights of some pretty uninteresting movies. Whoever the son on Vera Drake was wins this one, I guess. He was the only one in the movie who I felt actually dealt with the plot points.

Best Cast of Characters
- Easy A
- Angels in America
- Seven Samurai

This is an easy one for me. Although the characterization was what I liked most about Seven Samurai, I was absolutely blown away by the characters in the TV miniseries Angels in America. (Maybe it shouldn't count as a movie, but in my mind it is. Just six hours long.) They're all distinct, fascinating, and beautifully portrayed by the actors in question.

Most Disappointing Movie
- Neighbors
- Soylent Green
- Twist of Faith
- Born Into Brothels
- Interview

For me, this is measured by how much I WANTED to like a movie versus how much I ended up liking it. And this award goes, hands down, to Interview. It's got a wonderful premise, actors who should have been much better than they were... It just completely fell apart.

Most Enjoyable
- Easy A
- The Other Boleyn Girl
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit

I have no idea what The Other Boleyn Girl is even doing in this category, but choosing between the other two is surprisingly difficult. I think I'm going to go with Easy A, because it was consistently funny (far more than I would have expected).

Most Entertaining
- Aliens
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- Easy A
- Seven Chances

These last two categories are kind of similar in what they should mean... Yet I have almost two completely different lists for them. Interesting. I think I'm going to have to go with Easy A again on this one, although Bedknobs and Broomsticks was also pretty darn entertaining.

Funniest
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
- Seven Chances

...Erm. What a weird, tiny selection of choices. Cloudy wins this one, hands down, because although I liked Seven Chances, it was really only a few moments that were that funny.

Worst Characters
- Apocalypto
- Suez
- Interview

This was for worst ensemble cast. Apocalypto wasn't THAT bad, I just didn't care about them. And Interview was SO CLOSE. So disappointing. I think Suez wins for writing just truly outlandish characters. They're all extremely naive and end up getting in trouble for it, to which I kept saying, "HA!"

No comments:

Post a Comment