Friday, May 13, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 16

Day 16: A song that you used to love but now you hate.

This isn't true of many songs, but I figured Christian music was probably the way to go. Sorry, Christian-music-loving friends. I can't even remember what Christian music I used to really like (it's been a while), but I seem to remember enjoying "Keep the Candle Burning" by Point of Grace for some reason. Now I listen to it and go, "Wha?" It's probably a good message and all, but it's unbelievably bland, and therefore un-inspirational.

And what's the bit in that chorus about "all it takes is one steady heart"? Are they saying someone else is going to be holding steady as support for you? Do you have to hold steady so that you can change the world with your burning candle? If that's it, why are they suddenly demanding you be all set to change the world when "you're walking in the dead of night and your soul is churning"? Talk about pressure.

I seem to remember liking this for awhile because all my friends liked it, and then it fell out of favor with me even before Christian music as a whole did. And even though I can't say I *hate* it (I wouldn't stomp out of a room where it was playing or anything) I'd skip it every time it came up on my iPod, assuming I had it in my music library for some reason in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment