Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

I've never really been much for making resolutions for the new year. Mostly because, up until this year, my biggest goals have been pretty straightforward and obvious - things like "finish school" and "finish planning this wedding." But this upcoming year I don't really have any outwardly-imposed goals, so I'm going to go for it. Here are some things I'd like to try to accomplish this year.

There are definitely other things I would like to see happen this year - getting a teaching job, for example. However, I am limiting this list to things that I know I can accomplish on my own, without relying on circumstances, money, or things like job availability.

1. Get back to blogging 3 times a week. I've taken a break from Mondays for awhile, but now that I'm back in treatment for arthritis I'm hoping I can get back to blogging more consistently. I liked the three-days-a-week format, and I felt more creatively "in tune" with myself when I was blogging more often. I'd also like to return to writing some more serious blogs. I have some ideas floating around in my mind and would like to get them written down.

2. Get active. I asked for a Kinect and fitness/dance games for my birthday specifically because I hoped to use it to keep myself active. This "get active" goal is generic, but basically that's because my measurement of activity is fairly flexible. I'd like to make sure I spend some time in actual activity every day, starting by playing my dance games and then maybe walking or jogging when the weather is nicer, but since I am the couchiest of all couch potatoes I don't have an idea yet as to what is a realistic daily goal for me (especially with variables like arthritis). So right now I'm just going to try and raise my general activity level from the nothing it is now to... something better.

3. Get back into regular God time. I've been slacking on this the last couple months, and I've felt it. My goal is to have some intentional personal time with God every single day this year, whether it's an hour of prayer and worship or 10 minutes of reading my Bible. It's not a difficult goal, and I know I can accomplish it - I just need to get back into the rhythm of it all.

4. Watch more movies. Specifically, I'm doing a year-long movie challenge where every week, one of my friends selects up to 5 movies for me to watch and I'll watch one every weekday. (If they choose fewer than 5, I'll add in with some choices of my own.) I watched only a few movies in the latter half of 2013, and I found myself missing them, so I've decided to get moving and make room for a bunch more this year.

5. Do the 28 Days of Romance Movie Challenge again. I had so much fun with this last year, I absolutely want to do it again this year. The premise was that I watch my top-rated unseen romance movie on Flickchart every day in February. I saw some great movies and some terrible ones (and one that got un-ranked as a romance after I pointed out to the Flickchart admins that it was hardly a romance), but mostly I got to watch a bunch of movies I'd never have sought out on my own.

Not a lot of resolutions, but they're all-encompassing enough that I will be very, very happy if I can feel I've reached them all by the end of the year.

Do you guys have any resolutions for the new year? How are they going so far?

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to being part of your movie-watching resolution this year!

    My 2014 resolution is to get divorced.

    ReplyDelete