Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The Worst Movies I Saw in 2019

Just to even things out, here are the 20 worst movies I saw for the first time in 2019, most of which were part of my attempt to watch 100 movies from 1968. Turns out there are a LOT of bad movies from that year. Fight me on these if you want!

20. Legendary Weapons of China (1982). I'm sure this is better than my ranking. I just think kung fu movies are so boring.

19. Epic (2013). This movie is such a nonentity, I had to go look up my review to remember what it was even about.

18. Will Penny (1967). There were a LOT of westerns in 1968, solidifying for me how very dull and one-note I find cowboy characters.

17. Blade Runner 2049 (2017). I don't like the original Blade Runner and I don't like sequels, so this was probably unexpected.

16. Cocktail (1988). Did Tom Cruise show someone his party trick of flipping liquor bottles and someone say, "Let's make a movie about this, but, yeah, that bottle trick, that's the heart of it"?

15. Pretty Poison (1968). A pretty upsetting movie where I think I'm supposed to kind of root for the leads to be together when she is 16 and he is an adult. Later plot twists don't make this any less upsetting.

14. Jezebel (1938). It's like Gone With the Wind, but with less likable characters and less interesting cinematography.

13. Mute (2018). What a wildly disappointing, dull, ugly take on what could have been a good premise.

12. Bohemian Rhapsody (2018). This is the laziest kind of biopic.

11. You Were Never Really Here (2017). I don't think Lynne Ramsay and I speak the same film language. I just didn't "get" this one.

10. Wuthering Heights (1939). Oh my goodness, do I hate these characters.

9. Devil's Knot (2013). A very messily made movie about a very interesting true crime case.

8. Graveyard of Honor (2002). The last non-1968 movie in the bottom 20 for me. This character is wildly unappealing and I just didn't want to see him on screen anymore.

7. Shalako (1968). Another bland western. Sean Connery as a cowboy is very weird.

6. The Green Berets (1968). This pro-Vietnam-War movie feels like far more propaganda than storytelling, and I'm not interested in that.

5. Murder a la Mod (1968). A very early Brian de Palma which is all over the place.

4. Greetings (1968). Yet another very early Brian de Palma, and it's exceptionally student film-esque.

3. The Birthday Party (1968). I'm sure there's art behind both this play and this movie adaptation, but I just don't get it.

2. Barbarella (1968). This is so boring and sexploitational which isn't my style at all.

1. Head (1968). A truly nonsensical, dull movie that just feels like the Monkees trying to be the Beatles.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see Devil's Knot mentioned on a list that it truly belongs. That movie was such a dud. Same with Mute.

    ReplyDelete