Thursday, January 30, 2020

Time for Some Flickcharting!

Let's do some Flickcharting! Here come 20 random match-ups and what I chose.

1. Autumn Sonata (1978) vs. Mozart and the Whale (2005)

Two very good movies, certainly both in my top 1000. While I should probably rewatch Mozart and the Whale to be completely confident in its ranking, though, it currently sits much higher, and deservedly so. Some killer performances in both of these, though. Mozart takes it for now. No change in the chart.

2. The Interpreter (2005) vs. Synecdoche, New York (2008)

I'll be honest, the details of both of these are pretty much erased from my memory. However, the one piece I do remember of Synecdoche, New York, is that haunting final image of Philip Seymour Hoffman making his way through the enormous abandoned facsimile of New York he constructed, and that image and the emotions of it are so embedded in my brain that it easily wins here.

3. Passion (1996) vs. Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Passion is a filmed version of one of Stephen Sondheim's more operatic and less interesting shows (at least for me). Even Donna Murphy in a lead role can't sell me on it. Full Metal Jacket has its problems, but the first half of it is great, and it easily takes the lead here.

4. Get Smart (2008) vs. Copying Beethoven (2006)

Oof. I was extremely disappointed by Copying Beethoven, while Get Smart was about as mediocre as I figured it would be. I guess for now I'll give the nod to the movie that didn't fall as far, so Get Smart it is. It did make a significant jump up my chart, from #2624 to #2072, but I don't remember it being cringey so much as just kind of blah, so that's probably a more accurate place for it.

5. The House With Closed Shutters (1910) vs. Ghostbusters (1984)

I am not a huge Ghostbusters fan, but neither am I a big fan of silent melodrama. I bet Ghostbusters would gain some interest from me if I rewatched it a couple times, if it settled into a comedy-through-familiarity spot for me. I don't really see myself getting much more out of The House With Closed Shutters, so it loses here.

6. The Internship (2013) vs. Gosford Park (2001)

Gosford Park is a movie that completely lost me the first time I saw it, but I've been meaning to go back and rewatch it and see if it's better than I gave it credit for. I highly doubt The Internship is better than I thought it was when I watched it, so we'll give Altman the benefit of the doubt.

7. 22 Jump Street (2014) vs. ParaNorman (2012)

I'm one of the few people I know who didn't particularly like ParaNorman. The animation is nice, and the story is fine, it just seems very... typical? On the other hand, 22 Jump Street should have been horrendous and instead turned out to be hilarious. Its constant lampooning of the existence of big blockbuster sequels was great, and it contains one of my all-time favorite movie jokes -- where they comment on the ridiculous choice of title to continue the sequel and make it an actual plot point, that they had to move out of 21 Jump Street and into the house across the street, and then follow up with, "Probably soon we'll have to move back out of this place and back across the street, but next door."

8. I and You (2018) vs. Spider-Man 2 (2004)

This is kind of a tough call. I and You is a filmed version of a Lauren Gunderson play that was livestreamed on, of all things, Instagram. I like the play, but I don't particularly love that particular production. But I also don't live Spider-Man 2. I just find it bland and forgettable. I guess I'll vote for I and You for having a more interesting script, but it doesn't do a lot for me.

9. Nick Nolte: No Exit (2008) vs. Rogue One (2016)

Ha, that Nick Nolte documentary is weird. It's him interviewing himself. I only saw it because I captioned it, and I have no desire to watch it again. Rogue One had disappointingly flat characterization but a good overall concept and some pretty cinematography, so I'm voting for it here because I could see what it was trying to do even though it fell flat.

10. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) vs. State of the Union (1948)

I'm so, so, so bored by Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man. Like why do we even have this when we JUST had Tobey Maguire's franchise? And State of the Union is decent but way lower on my chart than it should be, so while there's a good chance this will be a huge change in my chart, but a deserved one. Yup, State of the Union jumped from #2300 to #2048, which seems more accurate. It kept throwing off movie rankings being so low, so hopefully this will be better!

11. The Crazies (2010) vs. Transamerica (2005)

While I had a very good time watching The Crazies, it's nowhere near as great or as thoughtful as Transamerica. This is an easy choice.

12. Young Frankenstein (1974) vs. Bean (1997)

I do not love Young Frankenstein as much as I'm supposed to. I blame it partly on having seen it after hearing my parents and peers talk about all their favorite parts, so the surprise of the comedy was largely lost on me by the time I finally got around to it. Bean, however, is abysmal and unpleasant, so I the win goes easily to Young Frankenstein this around.

13. V for Vendetta (2006) vs. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Two movies with huge followings. While I like both movies themselves probably about the same, the V for Vendetta fandom is absolutely awful, and the Shaun of the Dead fandom is just occasionally awful (any decent sized fandom's got its own awfulness, occasionally awful is a pretty great deal). Slight edge to Shaun of the Dead because of that. V for Vendetta fans make me want to not like the movie.

14. It Comes at Night (2017) vs. Harold and Maude (1971)

Two movies I went into with big expectations that were not met. Even reading through reviews for It Comes at Night later didn't illuminate it for me. Harold and Maude has a decent chance at being better than I thought it was, though, so we'll give it the nod for now, which jumps it from #2461 to #1968.

15. The Lady Eve (1941) vs. How to Rob a Bank (2007)

I saw How to Rob a Bank, obviously, and I think I remember it being fun? It definitely didn't have much staying power though, and The Lady Eve most certainly did, so it wins here, easily.

16. City of Angels (1998) vs. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

While I'm not much of a fan of Christmas vacation -- it's certainly not in my own holiday movie rotation -- it's far, far better than the weird mess that was City of Angels, which was ridiculous and made me laugh out loud at a clearly tragic turn of events in the narrative because it was handled so sloppily.

17. Gunga Din (1939) vs. The American President (1995)

Two movies I don't really have much of a response to. Which one would I rather rewatch? Gunga Din, I suppose, since it's been a very long time and it might make a different impression on me watching it years later. That jumps it from #1955 to #1710, which isn't an egregious difference, but it does feel a bit unearned.

18. The Longest Yard (1974) vs. Safety Last! (1923)

The Longest Yard is pretty dull. Safety Last, on the other hand, is funny and creative and that clock climbing scene is kind of terrifying! It wins here.

19. A Dangerous Method (2011) vs. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

I am not in love with either of these movies, but I can appreciate everything Who Framed Roger Rabbit is doing. The combination of live action and cartoon both looks good and makes thematic sense, and it has a lot of fun playing with the noir genre throughout. A Dangerous Method is not nearly as interesting.

20. I, Tonya (2017) vs. The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)

Well, that's a heck of a matchup to go out on. I am, of course, voting Star Wars.

I kid, I kid, it's terrible. I, Tonya takes it quite easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment